Can I Get An Extension to File My Tax Return?

Many people already know that the deadline to file your federal tax return is April 15th, but not everyone knows that you may be able to get a six month extension to file your taxes by using Form 4868, Application for Automatic Extension of Time To File U.S. Individual Income Tax Return.

The IRS’s guidelines for a tax return extension:

  1. Properly estimate your 2013 tax liability,
  2. Enter your total tax liability on line 4 of Form 4868, and
  3. File Form 4868 by the regular due date of your return – usually April 15th.

It is important to note that this does not give you an extension on paying your taxes if you owe money. If you do not pay your estimated taxes by April 15 than you will be subject to interest and fines from the IRS.

You are not required to describe the reason why you are filing late. The IRS will contact you if your request is denied.

Special Rules Apply in Certain Circumstances:

There are special rules for people in the following situations:

Saint Louis tax preparation expert James Coats can help you file your tax returns, request an automatic extension to file your taxes, and more. Call STL Tax today at (314) 645-1614.

No Comments Yet

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *